Monday, February 23, 2009

South Miami Art Fest

This weekend I was really excited to go to the Greek Festival because the one in Charlotte is really cool. Man. This one had nothing on it. So we ditched out the festival and drove to South Miami for the art festival. It's set up like the Carnival on the Mile, only with no stages and much smaller. I like both of these festivals because they are the opposite of the Coconut Grove Art Festival - smaller and less crowded.

We are in "perfect weather" season of Miami, with temperatures reaching into the upper 70s and low 80s, which makes walking around outside, not only bearable, but actually enjoyable.

Which is why I was perplexed to see these on sale for $200:
Photobucket

I also thought it was interesting that there were fake orchids, considering you can throw a rock and hit an orchid stand in this city (even on side streets)
Photobucket
Photobucket

There were alot of artists hawking traditional landscapes, and the overly colorful caribbean-influenced art that I am not crazy about. But there were some "pop art" pieces that caught my eye, including this artist, who designed this year's Carnival on the Mile poster:
Photobucket

There was also this artist, who had an interesting use of mixed media on canvas. I liked this picture because it had a cat:
Photobucket

This one caught my eye, I forget the artist:
Photobucket

And speaking of cats, this one was hanging with his owner:
Photobucket

But the South Miami Art Fest wasn't all about cats and art, there was food too:
Photobucket

And puppets!
Photobucket

Photobucket

And if you want to adopt a greyhound (I'm not poking fun, my friends have adopted two from this organization) then you could talk to the Greyhound Rescue Mission:
Photobucket

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fake orchids never die! Gotta get me some.
Do you know how many roadside 2/$10 orchids have been laid to rest on my patio?

Anonymous said...

True, true. And I am an expert at killing orchids, but my theory is that some people aren't meant to have orchids. I am definitely in that category... lol

Anonymous said...

I missed this art festival. I agree with you that because it is smaller it is more enjoyable. That picture with all the food just made me hungry.