Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Shark Valley

I love the sun, I love being outside and I love being active. These are some of the many reasons I appreciate South Florida so much. Usually on the weekend, I end up walking around outside, either in my neighborhood or on the boardwalk or something.

This past weekend we did something different. We went about 17 miles past Krome on Tamiami Trail to the Everglades and went biking in Shark Valley. Shark Valley is part of the Everglades National Park, within the park there are tram tours, an info center and a path through the park. But it's not for the faint of heart, it's a 15 mile path, with some offshoots to see bobcats and otters (we saw neither.) But on a nice day, it's great for biking because its a wide, level paved path. I wouldn't recommend it for the summer though, as very little of the path is shaded.

It's fun though, because the scenery is beautiful and you can see alot of wildlife. Some of my pics I took from my bike, others I swung around and jumped off. Here are some of my favs:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
(a long road ahead of us)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
(baby croc)
Photobucket
The marshes made me nostalgic for the South Carolina lowcountry. So peaceful
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The view from the 7-mile halfway point.

If you are into biking, it's totally worth going. The path is long enough that you can coast and absorb the scenery around you, but it's also perfect for those moments when you hunch over the handlebars, throw it into gear and tear down the path with the wind in your face. Just don't forget sunscreen and water.

4 comments:

Steven in Miami said...

I have done the ride and I agree, it is totally worth doing and not too strenuous. Really spectacular scenery. On evening of the full moon or weekends when the moon is almost full, there are usually a few dozen riders who do the ride in the moonlight.

Jessica said...

No way! I was there Saturday, too. But since we didn't opt to ride bikes ( I dont know whos idea this was in the group) and walked like idiots, we didn't end up walking the whole thing. Next time I go back, I'll go with my bike and right frame of mind. Glad to see it out on the blogosphere!

Anonymous said...

You know, I would love to do this. But is there any dangers I'll come across a gator? That would be a complete turn off to say the least ;)

Rosie

Anonymous said...

Steve, that moonlight ride sounds pretty cool. I will have to pitch that to my biking-partner-in-crime, el hombre.

Jessica, there is no way I could walk it, it would take soooo long! Glad you enjoyed my post.

Rose, you will see gators, but they won't chase you. They mainly do alot of sleeping in the sun...